Wednesday, December 28, 2005

F.U.R.I.A.A.

If anyone has any better naming ideas mail me. The provisional name is:

F.U.R.I.A.A.

Before anyone from the you-know-who Recording Ass complains it actually stands for Frontend Utility for Ripping with Integral Audio Authenticity, so f**k you :P

I had an email asking why I was making this....you want the truth?

We are well aware of a certain site where the "powers" over there consider themselves "experts" in the field of making lossless rips. They love to look down on other sites where there are less stricter rules and people are posting "lossless" rips made with iTunes, made with incorrect drive offsets, without log/cue files and all manner of other things.

In some respects they're right but many people think that this site is the only true place for "real verified lossless music". It's almost like there's lossless music only available from this site and then "maybe-lossless" from everywhere else, like they are in a world of their own, up high on the highest pedestal.

Now I'm not happy in this "power" of what is/isn't lossless being in the hands of a few, where powers are misued, where music like hip-hop is banned, where they make the job of somebody ripping a CD (a VIP) sound so much more impressive than it really is. There's nothing hard about being a VIP at all, even scanning is easy but just a long mundane affair. VIP's, sorry uploaders, should be applauded for their efforts, their time, their bandwidth, their taste and their work - but not treated as some sort of demi-god. I'd rather see a 13 year old kid or a 80 year old grandmother being able to make a perfect lossless rip every day, than the same 47 year old guy who wears his sweatshirt tucked inside his jeans making the same boring obscure rips every other week.

The aim of this tool is to completely make their "job" and "skills" of verifying what is/isn't lossless redundant, to take the control of what is acceptable music and what isn't back into the hands of the people who love music of all types, and away from people who don't listen to anything other than Prog-Rock and Classical music.

In truth there is nothing difficult about making a perfect lossless rip, if you have good intentions and are from an original disc with a reasonably modern drive. Yes, you can make mistakes but I still remember that people are human. Rather than inventing a million checklists, a million rules, a million FAQS, having a million debates about what is the right cuesheet format etc.. etc.. I want this tool to eliminate these actions, to be able to train a monkey to be able to rip a lossless CD perfectly.

On the other hand I don't want to force this upon anybody, if people on non-compatible systems or those who cannot be bothered still want to use other programs, still want to use EAC as-is with easily tamperable logs/cuesheets etc... then fine, do that. But only if you use F.U.R.I.A.A. will you be able to stick a sticker on your release saying "100% F.U.R.I.A.A. Certified".

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi FiH
I stumbled across your blog after seeing your name at Oink. We've also met at the Catraxx forum.

I'm using EAC with Wack/FLAC for my rips now, which I'm pretty confident of, but I'm interested in trying FURIAA when you're finished .

Dondo

10:01 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im intrested in FURIAA too, once you're finished (when I looked at your list of features for your posts I realized my posts are very sub-par). Also, for the name, though it's not an acronym, why not just call it Fury? It's close enough, and it's pretty badass too.

12:16 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

badass man, this is exactly what the scene(world) needs! Glad someone has the go-to, gumshoo, and know how to get it done! Please keep me updated, try and get a news item about it at oink which would be prime otherwise PM me there or something!

2:24 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"F.U.R.I.A.A." can also mean "Fuck U R.I.A.A."... I like it!

Cheers!

8:19 am  
Blogger lextune said...

Nothing short of brilliant! lol

5:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home